Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 28 of the 50 Day painting challenge - What's That? - by George De Chiara

What's That?
6x6 inches
Oil on Canvas Panel
by
George De Chiara

Click here to bid.
Opening bid just one cent!

 On one of our trips to the Texas Gulf Coast, my wife and I stopped by a small dock that offers chartered fishing trips just to nose around.  We were looking for some pelicans to take pictures of and this spot had a few. While I was busy photographing them, one of the charter boats came in and was followed very intently by a pod of pelicans and flocks of seagulls. At first I wasn't sure why these birds followed the fishing boat back into harbor, but then they started cleaning the day's catch and it all made sense. The birds knew that fishermen would throw the fish inners into the water for them where they would swoop into the water after the easy meal. It was a sight to be seen, and I quickly snapped off picture after picture. At one point, I glanced up at the top of the little cleaning shack and noticed the entire roof line was covered in gulls. I was struck by the way they all looked lined up wing to wing, and how they seemed to lean over the edge to watch the fishermen as they worked.

To see a complete step-by-step demo of how this painting came to life visit my blog here.

To see more of my paintings and all of the 50 Paintings in 50 Days Challenge Paintings visit my web site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment