Saturday, June 15, 2013

Green Onion - An Original 8 x 10 Still Life Oil Painting and workshop by George De Chiara

Green Onions ©
8x10 inches   Oil
George De Chiara

Click here to bid.

 Sometimes when I'm looking for inspiration for a still life painting, I don't have to look any further than the vegetable drawer in the refrigerator. It's especially tempting after it's been restocked for the week with a trip through the produce aisle. Today, these green onions caught my eye. The challenge with these was to make an interesting painting and composition with what is essentially, as my wife put it, green pencils. After a little playing around with different arrangements I found this one the most interesting to paint. The onions are balancing on  a piece of wood, with a few falling over the edge and their shadows draping down. I also kept the background fresh with lots of bold brush strokes and a lot of color and edge variation. 

There's still time to register for my upcoming workshop at the Dutch Art Gallery in Dallas on June 21st and 22nd. This 2 day workshop will focus on painting the still life in oils, but any medium is welcome. For more info click here.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment