Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sunset on Lake Arlington - Original Oil Painting by George De Chiara

Sunset on Lake Arlington
5x7 inches
Oil on Canvas Panel
by
George De Chiara

Somehow I got off by a day with my postings to this blog. I'm not sure how I did this, but this is what I painted yesterday, I had decided to go up the street to Lake Arlington to try to paint the sunset. Because it had a great view of the sun going down, I walked out to the end of one of the piers. Now, it turns out that painting a sunset on a swaying pier has some interesting challenges.  Sometimes,  I would go to make a brush stroke and would sway one way and my easel the other. And to top that off, just as I started to lay down paint, the clouds moved and I found myself staring right into the setting sun instead of the beautifully back lit cloud that had originally caught my eye. I could hardly look at it! To round out the challenges, I had to paint rapidly to catch the moment.  There's so much energy in a sunset. I didn't even notice how fast I was working until right after the sun slipped below the horizon. Suddenly, I felt a calm in air and was able to slow down and add the final few brush strokes before heading home. Once back in the studio, I made a few adjustments to this one.  If this story illustrates anything, it's that determination often dictates the painting.

To read more about this painting please visit my blog.
http://georgedechiara.com/blog

Visit my web site to see more of my work.
http://georgedechiara.com

If you would like to purchase this painting visit my auction here.


No comments:

Post a Comment