Thursday, October 17, 2013

Koi Pond - An Original 5 x 7 Plein Air Landscape Oil Painting by George De Chiara

Koi Pond ©
5x7 inches  Oil
George De Chiara

Click here to bid.

 Every once in a while when I'm at the Botanical Gardens in Fort Worth, I get the urge to head over to the Koi pond they have to try my luck at painting these fish while they swim around looking for food. If I was able to feed them, I might have better luck getting them to stay close to me, but they have a strict no feeding policy there, so I have to try to catch glimpses of them as they pass by. This makes for a very interesting day of painting. Most of my time is spent staring into the pond observing how the fish move and look. I try to focus on just one at a time, but if that fish doesn't come by for a while I may use another as a substitute model. Then I attempt to capture what I just saw on my canvas. I know someone out there is thinking why not just take a photograph and paint from that? Well, I may just do that for my next attempt at this, but to me, this experience is invaluable at filling in the gaps that the photograph will surely leave out. Besides, it's kind of fun staring at the fish for a few hours!


No comments:

Post a Comment