Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sliced Apple - An Original 5 x 7 Still Life Oil Painting by George De Chiara

Sliced Apple ©
5x7 inches  Oil
George De Chiara

Click here to bid.

When I started to layout this still life, I knew I wanted to concentrate on trying to get an accurate representation of what I was looking at, while at the same time maintaining a painterly feel. I didn't want things to get to busy or fussy. For me, this a tough line to approach but not cross. With oil paints, I can just keep adding details and make things tighter and tighter, so it's a bit of a delicate balance to be able to say what I want to about this sliced apple, but not get lost in the details of it. One way to do this is to use as large of a brush as possible for as long as possible. Stepping back often helps too, just make sure there aren't any pets sleeping behind you. In my case, it's my constant studio companion Cosmo, a stray cat we found about 8 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment