Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Boat Docks on Lake Waxahachie - Original Oil Painting by George De Chiara

Boat Docks on Lake Waxahachie
9x12 inches
Oil on Canvas Panel
by
George De Chiara

This is the next painting I did during the Waxahachie Plein Air Event. I had found this scene over Memorial Day weekend, but it was too crowded to paint, so I went back on Tuesday. Thankfully, it was a lot less crowded. In fact, I think I was the only one there for a  long while. If you have been paying attention to this blog and the work I've posted, it will come as no surprise that I'm a real sucker for boat docks. It seems I've painted them at almost every lake I've visited in the last year. I love the fact that they so often seem improvised with whatever materials the dock owner had lying around, which creates great character in these structures. These docks attracted me because of the overhangs on the one with the red roof. The light was quite scattered in that morning and it gave this whole scene a sense of depth that was elusive. The thing I learned during this painting is that sometimes I just need to keep at it and only wipe the parts of the painting that I'm not happy with. There where several times I thought about wiping the whole canvas because one or two areas weren't coming out the way I wanted. Boy, am I glad I only wiped off those areas and on kept painting. This painting will be available at the show and sale starting Friday, June 3rd at Charauqua Auditorium until Sunday, June 6th.


Visit my web site and blog to see more of my work.
http://georgedechiara.com

No comments:

Post a Comment