Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Sunny Bunch - An Original 6 x 8 Still LIfe Oil Painting by George De Chiara

A Sunny Bunch ©
6x8 inches  Oil
George De Chiara

Click here to bid.

With this still life, I was trying something new for the lighting - the sun! For a few hours every morning the sun streams into my studio through the large south-facing windows. I know,  most artists dream of a studio with north facing windows and I do too, but for now, this is what I have. Normally I try to avoid setting up my still life arrangements anywhere near this window since I can't control the light and it moves very quickly, but while I was setting up for a still life painting I happen to place these tomatoes down on a table sitting in that sun shine coming through my window. All it took was one look to make me want to try to capture what I was. I loved the quality of light striking the tomatoes and quickly got to work trying to get it down on canvas. Like a plein aire painting, every few minutes I could see the light had moved and continued my fast paced painting. After about an hour, I actually had to move the entire set up a few feet to get it back into the same lighting I had started with. It reminded me of painting outside, but in the warmth and comfort of my studio. I can't wait to tr it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment