Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Abandoned Shadows - An original oil painting by George De Chiara

Abandoned Shadows
8x10 inches
Oil on Linen Panel
by
George De Chiara

Whenever I go to Fort Worth, I pass by this old abandoned church that's just off the highway. Each time I pass it, I think to myself that I really need to stop and paint this place. There's just something about the way the light hits this old building that makes me want to put it on canvas. Well, just before the year ended, I finally made my trip to paint this old church. It was a nice sunny day with just a little chill in the air. After looking around at a few different views, I chose this one because of the shadows. I loved the color in them as the went across the once white walls. The little bit of green grass and shrub sealed the deal for me and I got to painting. I had to paint quickly before the shadows changed too much. By the time I finished this piece, the shadows coming down the boarded up windows along the top had reached the bottom of the windows.

A few days ago, I found out that this painting was juried into the 2012 Plein Air Southwest Salon at the Southwest Gallery in Dallas. This is my first time in this exhibition and I'm very happy to be included with such a great line up of artists. I'll be posting more information about this show as we closer to it in April. This painting will be available for purchase at this show.


To view more of my work visit my website http://georgedechiara.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment